Thursday 5 November 2015

Energy Gels - Not really got a clue so experimenting!

Another 8 miles under the belt yesterday and not feeling too sore today. I am sort of measuring my fitness improvements by how bad i feel the next day at the moment !

I have been reading a lot about energy gels and drink supplements and clearly I know nothing and it seems that there are some really varied pieces of advice out there.

An experienced and good friend who I trust reckons that on a long run I should be taking a gel every 20 minutes or so, and yet I was reading yesterday that your stomach closes down, diverting all available resources to the other vital organs so gels are less effective unless taken with plenty of water, and maybe liquid energy might be the way to go. But i suppose it all has to go through your stomach. This article suggested a gel every hour would be sufficient for most people.

So I dont really know is the answer and I suppose the best way to find out is to experiment a bit, so I have bought a box of  Energy Gels, which seem to come highly recommended and will give them a try. It may be that they work differently for everyone so perhaps experimentation is the key but if you have any experience or advice I would be happy to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment